Thursday, January 30, 2014

Throwback Thursday

My dad was laid back, funny as hell, intelligent, and just fun to be around. When I was young, he taught me how to be independent and made me feel like a grown up.

My mother is the complete opposite. She's uptight, controlling, naggy, and just an all-around pain in the ass. When I was young, she didn't want me out from under her thumb so she wouldn't let me do ANYTHING and made me feel like a baby.

My parents divorced when I was four years old but I spent every weekend with my dad until he became very ill and passed away. I'm just like him - which is probably why my mother and I never got along. Oil and water, man...to this day. Dad was my weekend reprieve from the stifling oppression that was known as "Mother".

I have a very vivid memory of me, at the ripe old age of around NINE, asking my dad, "Dad, you and Mom are soooo different. I can see why you two divorced. But how in the world did you ever end up together???" He sighed, looked me straight in my young eyes and said,

"Well, kid......she was hot."

Classic Dad.

God, I miss him.

She was pretty hot...especially in a bikini. But I couldn't find that pic so below is a family photo circa 1975.



ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment