Sunday, October 23, 2011

Occupy This, Motherf*cker!

I worked my way through college and into a plum job in the corporate world. I made extremely (and by extremely, I mean extremely) good money. Did I deserve to make good money? Hell yes. Did I deserve to make as much as I did? Probably not. I wasn't saving lives - I was writing politically correct bullshit to make our employees feel like they worked for a good, socially responsible company. I was astounded by the influence my company had on local and federal government. (Although I did have to wear pantyhose and high heels every day. That ALONE is almost worth what I made!)

American citizens are finally standing up for themselves against corporate greed. Some argue these protestors need to stop feeling entitled to benefits they haven't earned. Others advise them to "go out and get a job so you won't be in the situation you are in now." Having a job, a comfortable home, and gainful employment does NOT exempt you from being in the 99 percent. It's about distribution of wealth and how very few people own most of our country's wealth. Wealth equals power, and power equals influence - which means democracy is being taken out of our hands and given to the one percent.

Unfortunately, many people don't know they're in the 99 percent. This is a fantastic letter to those who are blinded by the smoke and mirrors of corporate control.

One week ago, I was working in the ER and a truck came screaming up to the front door. The passenger, a guy in his 20s, was slumped over the dashboard. He was wasn't breathing and was purplish blue. A nurse and two techs (techs are like nurse assistants - they're usually nursing students and/or EMTs) ran out to the truck and found no pulse. The driver said his friend had been shooting heroin and became unresponsive in the truck.

In front of a partially full waiting room, the three staff members pulled the guy out of the truck and onto a bed. As the nurse steered the bed into the ER, one of the techs jumped on the bed and started performing CPR. The other tech put an oxygen mask on him and started pumping the bag. I ran ahead opening doors.

We ran into the room screaming that we needed help. Staff came running and flew into action. They administered Narcan, which counteracts the effects of the heroin. Within 45 seconds of being wheeled into the room, the guy started coughing and turning a healthier shade of pink. These people saved his life.

Although doctors and nurses earn good wages (as they should) the two people who kept this man alive until others could intervene earn barely more than minimum wage.

THIS is what Occupy Wall Street is about. It's not about feeling entitled to others' money - it's about the monopolization and corruption at the top of the corporate world that trickles down to everyone.

I currently live at less than poverty level. Do I miss having money and being able to buy anything I wanted, whenever I wanted? HELL TO THE YES. (Especially Tiffany & Co. jewelry. Oh the blue boxes!!! SWOON!)

Am I willing to give it up to help save lives and make a small difference in this greedy world? Hell to the yes.

I am the 99% and you are, too.
ShareThis

1 comment:

Monica said...

So true!! Until recently we lived right below the poverty level. The thing is, I never felt poor! It is all a matter of being happy with yourself and what your doing with yourself in the world!

Post a Comment